• 2.7 CRORE ELECTORATE TO DECIDE THE FATE OF 278 CANDIDATES TOMORROW
• 254 MALE AND 24 FEMALE CANDIDATES TO VIE FOR 13 PARLIAMENTARY SEATS
• OVER 1 LAKH POLICE PERSONNEL DEPLOYED TO ENSURE PEACEFUL ELECTIONS IN THE STATE
• MAJOR FOCUS ON CHECKING FLOW OF LIQUOR, NARCOTICS AND INDUCEMENT BY MONEY
• DC’S AND SSP’S TOLD TO CRITICALLY MONITOR SITUATION IN NEXT 48 HOURS AND TAKE PREVENTIVE MEASURES AS PER LOCAL SITUATION.
CHANDIGARH, May 16;
Punjab is all set to witness the most sacred epic battle of democracy tomorrow with Election Commission making all arrangements to ensure free, fair and peaceful elections in the state.
Briefing the media Dr. S. Karuna Raju Chief electoral Officer and Mr. R.N. Dhoke ADGP Elections informed that total State machinery working round the clock to ensure peaceful ,free and fair elections with over 1.25 lakh employees and over 1 lakh Police officials deployed to conduct ‘MAHAUTSAV’ of democracy. He said that over 20781211 electorate would decide the fate of 278 candidates in 13 constituencies. Dr. Raju said that 23,213 polling stations have been established and 42689 ballet units, 28703 VVPAT are being used in this election. He said that 394780 first time voters would exercise their right of franchise this time and all District Administrations are taking adequate steps to motivate first time voters.
Giving the briefing about law and order Dr. Raju said Election has said that over 1 lakh Police Personnel would be deployed throughout the state and Police parties would conduct thorough search to check the flow of liquor, narcotics and money to ensure free and fair elections.
The CEO said that all DC’s and SSP’s were on their toes to check the incidents of distribution of liquor, narcotics and money for inducing the voters and raids would be conducted immediately on receiving information or complaints.
Ms Kavita Singh and Mr. Sibbin C (both Additional Chief Electoral Officers) were also present in the press conference.